Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Three Hour Tour

The big news of the day is that I made it through all three hours of church. What's more, I didn't take my wheelchair. I decided I would just use the walker and that went well. I did bring my really nice air cushion from the wheelchair to sit on. I made sure I had plenty of painkiller on board so that my back wouldn't bother me too much and I brought extra doses with me to take when my pain killer ran out.

What I think may be even more exciting happened before church. Wendy helped me get into the shower but I was able to get myself out, brush my teeth, comb my hair, get dried off, get my shell off, get completely dressed (except shoes and socks, that is still pretty tough with my shell on) and get my shell back on. I even got my tie out of the closet and hung up my towels for good measure. It is pretty satisfying to get some measure of independence back and hopefully it will give Wendy more time to spend on herself and the girls. I always feel a little guilty that she has to spend so much time taking care of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're happy to hear you're doing better and better with each passing week. Give yourself some time. This was serious so you're going to need a few weeks or months to get back to normal activity. Nice pics, too.