Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Real Shower

Yesterday I had a follow-up visit with Dr. Reichman's office. I saw a nurse practitioner in his office that gave me the usually run down. He told me I had better not fall anymore and that I got lucky that it wasn't any worse. He also told me that I can take my shell off to shower now. I wear it into the shower, sit down on the shower bench, and then I can take it off and set it outside the shower. I put it back on again before I get out. Today marks six weeks since the accident and it is the first time I have been able to was my own torso in the shower like a normal person does.

You would think that the experience would have been wonderful. I admit that it was good news and good progress, but it wasn't as wonderful as I had hoped. My abs and back muscles have pretty much disappeared over the last six weeks. When I took my shell off I sunk like a pile of Jell-O pudding. About 2 minutes into the shower, my back, particularly near the incision, was so sore I couldn't wait to rinse off and get out. I was begging Wendy to help me hurry and get my shell back on. Hopefully it will improve with time and having those few minutes shell free will help my muscles come back a little.

I must have looked pretty comical in the shower because the doctor made a big point of telling me not to move in ways that my shell wouldn't allow. I didn't lean against the back rest because I was trying to keep my back straight. I moved about a centimeter per hour to reach over and turn on the water. I tried not to twist when getting the shampoo. I knew I was being a little over cautious but I was actually a little scared without my shell on and I was afraid to move wrong.

P.S. My knee and ankle are fine so I am guessing there was no permanent damage. I do have a kind of saggy spot right above me knee cap that I don't remember before. Maybe it is some swelling. Or, maybe it is just the skin hanging loose because there is no muscle inside, who knows?

No comments: