Monday, August 25, 2008

Gravity Hurts

In therapy today we decided it was time to see how far I could walk on my own power. Ronda gave me a cane to use to see if it was helpful but I ended up just carrying it because it didn't do much for me. I walked 400 feet without a stop. After a rest I went up and down a flight of stairs twice. I was heading back to a training table for a break and I was about 10 feet away when my legs gave out. It happened really fast. One minute I was walking along just fine and the next I was on my hands and knees. My knees hit pretty hard. I looked over at Shane who had been doing an eval with another patient at the time and said, "I guess I found my limit." He replied, "I think your limit was a few feet ago." I told everybody not to worry, it only hurt one of my knees since I couldn't feel the other one anyway.

My knee and ankle on my right leg were pretty sore the rest of the day. I've had a hard time straightening my knee and putting weight on it. I had a follow-up visit with Dr. Fyans, one of the rehab doctors. He checked my knee and ankle and said it didn't look like I did anything permanent.

P.S. The cushion never turned up. Someone else found it and decided they liked it I guess. I got another loaner from Rehab and I will be ordering my own soon. Whoever found it, I hope they like it and I hope they needed it more than I did!

No comments: