Sunday, August 24, 2008

The WalMart Kart

Before I tell about the WalMart Kart (which is what I have decided to name it) I should mention that those nifty green swim trunks I am wearing in the swimming picture are a gift Wendy gave me just before we got married. I commissioned them that night in the sense that since we got married - almost five years now - I have not been skinny enough to fit into them -- until now.

So, we've all seen the fun little electric carts at WalMart (and other similar stores) that you can ride around in while you do your shopping. And whether you can admit it or not, we've all wanted to ride them. For many of us, public humiliation is the only thing preventing us from riding it on every shopping trip. Honestly, it's like a free go-cart ride.

Well, my chance came this weekend and I couldn't resist. Wendy and I went on a date on Saturday and after a nice dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen (which I highly recommend) she mentioned that she really needed to go to WalMart. I know how difficult it is to shop with the girls and so I wanted to let her go but I really didn't want to sit in the car and I didn't think I could do that much walking. We only had the walker with us so the wheel chair wasn't an option. Then Wendy reminded me of the carts.

Was I embarrassed? Of course. But no more so than I would have been shuffling around on my walker with my superman shell on. And I had a blast. In fact, I think I will take up shopping until my legs are able to participate in a more masculine sport ;). For the curious reader I should mention that the top speed on those things is about 2 miles per decade. I had to keep a perfect line down the aisle to keep up with Wendy's aimless shopping meander. On the plus side, those things have a killer turn radius. I have never seen donuts like that!

Unfortunately, I had so much fun riding on the cart that I left my premium, air-inflated whoopee cushion on the cart. Hopefully somebody put it in the lost-and-found!

6 comments:

Tom Rod said...

That's so funny. I've ridden around in those karts before--they make for a good story.

Anonymous said...

Jeremy,
You're the only person I know who could make this kind of experience sound like a party! Hope you get your cushion back. Remember the ride you gave me at Home Depot after my knee injury? I could get even with you now:)
Mom

Anonymous said...

It's true. I have always wanted to ride on one of those carts, but you doing it vicariously for many of us right now is just fine. The green shorts are electrifying and we hope they do their job for a long time. Continuing with love and faith, Grams and Grumps

ang said...

it does sound like a party! did you let wendy ride too? i also have a pool that will be open until labor day if you want to come swim!

Anonymous said...

We're all anxiously awaiting the news of your cushion. Has it been returned? Are you "sitting on pins and needles" like we are or are you comfy again? We hope no news is good news. Our prayers are with you as you return to school, that you will continue to improve and have the stamina to adapt to your circumstances. We are very grateful that you have your full mental capacity as well as your sense of humor.
Our love, Grams & Grumps

Hendrickson Clan said...

You look & sound like you are doing so good! You and your family have been in our prayers!