Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Farewell to the Ramp of Doom

In therapy today I did some gym exercises to strengthen my right leg and then did some more stairs and walked about 70 feet. It was encouraging to cover almost twice the distance, especially since I didn't fall down this time and I did the walking at the end of therapy when I was already tired. Shane, my therapist, told me that my technique on the stairs is good enough that I can safely go in and out of the house through the front door from now on. That means no more crazy rides on the steep ramp in the back. Just to explain, there isn't enough room in the patio area outside the back door for a good ramp. We put one in out of necessity but it is way too steep. I can't get up or down it by myself. When coming down, Wendy lowers me backwards and I brake the chair with my hands so that I don't come down too fast. When going up Wendy is just able to keep me from sliding back down and then I have to push with my hands to make any progress. With my superhero suit on I can't lean forward at all so I feel like I am going to tip over the whole way up. Because I feel like I am going to die every time we go up or down the ramp, I have taken to calling it the Ramp of Doom. I won't miss my trips on it in the slightest!

We played the sensitivity game again and I think there are some slight improvements in some spots. I am amazed that I can feel all the way up my thigh since for the longest time I had no sensation there. However, the front and sides of my shin and knee on the right leg still have practically no sensation. If you tap hard I can feel the vibration in the bones. If you just touch lightly on the skin I can't even tell someone is touching me. I hope I don't have any spiders on my leg when I am napping. They'll make it right onto my shorts and up into my mouth before I know it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Jeremy, GO...!!!!!!!!