Thursday, August 14, 2008

Duh-nuh, duh-nuh, duh-nuh-nah

In case you can't tell, the title is the music that plays when Dorothy's "wicked witch" neighbor rides by on her bicycle in the Wizard of Oz. We got some pedals that sit on the floor and I used them for the first time today. It has been hard to get them away from the girls. Ayden in particular gets quite a kick out of them.

I discovered that I can stand up from the edge of my bed without using the walker. That has been difficult in the past. I already knew that once I was standing I could keep my balance without needing the walker, but standing up without using it is a different story. Once you start standing your hands leave the bed and you have to push the rest of the way up with your legs. My legs haven't been strong enough in the past to do that so it was exciting to find that they could. I discovered it by accident. I tried to throw my empty yogurt cup into the garbage and missed so I was going to stand up to see if I could bend over and get it. Without even thinking I stood up the way a normal person would, without the walker, and it worked. Once I realized what I had done I was shocked. I did get the yogurt cup by the way too.

This morning I got myself ready while Wendy went running. It was a dress rehearsal of sorts. I wanted to see how long it would take me to get ready and when I would need to wake up to make it to my 10:00 class when school starts in two weeks. I was ready by about 9:45 but I didn't wake up until 8:00 so I think I should be in good shape.

Since I can keep my balance and climb stairs I decided it was time to climb onto the scale. I weighed in at a hefty 214 this morning, with my shell on. That means I am probably around 210 as the blue jay stands. Although it embarrasses me to say it, when I started dieting way back when I weighed in at just over 260 so I have lost around 45-50 pounds. The hospital has certainly accelerated my diet plan. My appetite has come back strong in the last week or so but I seem to be maintaining still. I guess something good has come out of all of this!

If there are any typos or silly statements in this post it is because I didn't get to proof-read it. Wendy was too anxious to watch the Olympics!

No comments: