Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Bonk on the Noggin

Ayden fell off her chair trying to get down after lunch today and hit her head on the floor. She got quite a goose egg and was pretty distraught for the next hour or so. While I was trying to console her I told her that she would feel better soon if she kept the ice on. I was surprised by what she said (in part because she is three years old and in part because of what she said). She told me "I just don't know how long it is going to hurt." It reminded me of my hospital stay. At the worst times when I was nauseated and throwing up things seemed terrible. Since it seemed to come and go every few days I used to wonder how long it would take to recover. As you can see from my last post things aren't completely better. I used to lie in bed clutching my barf bucket and wonder when or if I would ever get better. For a three-year old, a first goose egg probably feels pretty similar to me breaking my back.

When it comes down to it I suppose we are all a little afraid of the unknown. This experience has been somewhat of a walk through the unknown for me. As long as we feel like we are in control of our lives it is easy to be happy. But we get squeemish when things are beyond our control. I guess that is what faith is all about: pushing forward and doing the best we can while we trust that things will work out. We just have to be patient during the tough times while we wait for the better times to come our way, even if it seems like they may never come.

Sorry for the soap-boxing...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No soap box, just words of wisdom which usually come as a result of trials in our lives. Thanks for sharing!

Please give Ayden a kiss from grandma!
Love,
Mom