Friday, August 22, 2008

So Much To Do, So Little Time To Do It

It has been a little while since I have written an entry for the blog, but not because nothing has happened. I have been pretty busy this week. Tuesday we went to Uncle Brad and Aunt Cathy's house for a get together. Wednesday I visited Brad to help with a web project. Both days Brad and Cathy were kind enough to let me use their pool (thanks). They have a nice stairway going into the shallow end so I was able to get in and out easily. I have never been so comfortable since the accident. The water really took the strain off my back.

Thursday I was on campus most of the day trying to get back into the school routine. I walked from my office in the Talmage building to the Wilkenson Center and back for lunch. I am not sure exactly how far it is but I had to take two breaks on the way back. It used to take me about 5 minutes to get there so that should give some indication of how far it is. It was exciting to be able to make it that far but I don't think I will be walking to lunch much in the near future.

This morning I went to therapy. I was able to push myself up at level 5 on the total gym (which is the first inclined level) using only my right leg. I haven't been able to do that before today. I only did it twice before I fatigued my leg. This afternoon I am going to get fitted for a walk aid which is an electronic device that is supposed to make my gait a little more natural and efficient. It is a band that I will wear on my calf that electrically stimulates the muscles that pull my foot up. It has sensors that make it activate each time I take a step. When I am not walking I can put it in an exercise mode that stimulates the muscle every few seconds. The hope is that it will build the muscle and help the nerves reconnect. Since ankle control on my right foot is one of the two things (my right quad being the other) that are holding up my progress right now I am pretty excited about it.

1 comment:

Sara Liechty said...

It was so fun to see you and your cute family on Tuesday night. You look like you are doing great. We pray that the healing continues We love you! Sara and Family