Wednesday, November 5, 2008

They're the expensive kind: unshelled

As most of you know, I have been living in a shell for the last four months. I didn't mind it too much at first, but lately it has been driving me nuts. Whenever I come home, the first thing I do is sit down on my chair so I can get the shell off of me. The smell that comes out of it is terrible. In fact, when Ayden climbs up on my lap, she usually comments: "Daddy, you smell like shell". Needless to say I have been anxious to get it off.

Yesterday I had an appointment at Dr. Reichman's office. I was very prepared for the terrible news that I would have to stay in this shell on for another month. However, when I went in for X-rays, the tech told me that the Dr.'s office had ordered a flexion and extension test. For the test, I get out of my shell and take two extra X-rays: one with me leaning forward (flexion), and one with me leaning back (extension). I knew from previous visits to Dr. Reichman's office that they only order this test if they are considering getting you out of the shell, since it can be dangerous to do if you aren't ready yet. So I got excited.

The result was mixed however. The fusion is not completely solid, but it is doing really well. The good news is that I am done with this shell. The bad news is that I get to trade it for a thoraco-lumbar corset. That's right, I am leaving my shell for a corset. Ironically, as I became more annoyed with the shell, I started calling it my bra. So I am trading my bra for a corset. Unfortunately, the switch means that I get some extra therapy and I get to purchase a corset, hence, the doctor's visit was the expensive kind: unshelled.

The corset supposedly only goes from hips to belly button-ish. It is also soft, so it is more of a support and less of a brace. The idea is that it will keep me from really messing things up but should be more comfortable and will allow me to ease into using my stomach muscles again. I have an appointment for tomorrow (Thursday, Nov. 6) to get fitted, so I am still stuck in this shell for another day and a half. But tomorrow is redemption day.

Prognosis: I have an appointment just after the first of the year. They will check one more set of X-rays and if everything is good, I should be out of the shell and pronounced whole. In other words, the fusion should be solid and the doctor will give me the OK to continue normal activities and I won't have to wear anything special.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

That's exciting, Jeremy!

There's an old Smother's Brother's routine where in part of the song, one of them shouts out, "Your old man wears a BRA!" You reminded me of that and I had a good laugh.

Good luck with the softshell!

Marie said...

The corset will help with your ever-increasing girlish figure!

Sara Liechty said...

I'm glad to hear that you are moving up in the world! lol We continue to pray for your continued recovery!

Jenne said...

Best of luck Rome! We can be therapy buddies now...just what we always wanted, right?

Jamie said...

That's good news! yea! moving out of the shell. woot! woot! I bet you never thought you'd be excited to wear a corset...... How our experiences change our perception. :)

Howard and Diane Moline said...

Wow! You are doing amazing Jeremy.
We are so pleased with your progress and great attitude.
The humor really helps :)
It took 15 months for my fusion to be complete, I'm seriously impressed!!!!!
Love, Aunt Diane