Saturday, August 2, 2008

Home Sweet Home, hopefully:)

Ayden was feeling better this morning so David watched the girls while I went to the hospital. Jeremy is still eating, not enjoying it, but at least eating and keeping it down. He's lost at least 20 lbs. since the accident. The blood test results showed he is running extremely low on testosterone, which could be affecting his appetite. They are giving him a testosterone patch until it normalizes. He was walking on the parallel bars with out any aid except his right leg brace. This afternoon he was supposed to practice using a walker since his wheelchair won't fit through the bathroom door. We're hoping he can park the wheelchair outside the bathroom and then use the walker to make it to the toilet and shower.

He is supposed to be coming home tonight for dinner. I'm picking him up around 5:00

This paragraph is for Sara:) We were planning on filling in details about the surgery after the blog entry on the accident...but it hasn't happened yet. Jeremy shattered his L1 vertabra. He didn't sever the spinal cord but it was crushed and embedded with bone fragments. The general surgeons permanently removed the two lowest ribs to enable the neurosurgeon access to the injury. The neurosurgeon said because the cord wasn't severed, he expected Jeremy to walk. As for how well he walks and how well his bladder/bowels work, it is a matter of time. The swelling is supposed to go down 4-6 weeks from the surgery. Let me know if you have any other questions because I'm sure I left things out. ps Congrats on the wedding! Sorry we had to miss it!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi Wendy,
We've been gone so much the last 2 weeks I feel bad we haven't been more help with the girls. And now Carly, Rachel & I are off to Girls camp Tuesday. Your blog is so nice to find out how things are going. You're doing a great job with it. The kids have been so sweet to remember Jeremy in their prayers every night. We love you guys so much!

Sara Liechty said...

Thanks Wendy! I appreciated that. I guess my only other question was if he had feeling in both legs or just the one of partial? I'm so happy to know that he is doing so well after the surgery! You are in our thought and prayers!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Wendy and Jeremy, we are so sorry about the accident. We've been in shock since hearing about it, but not so much that we would forget to pray for all of you. You have been in our thoughts and prayers every morning and night. I'm sure you are praying for Uncle Dennis and his cancer, so we'll just line up the names and keep on praying! I wish we could do something to help you,
but I guess prayers from us right now would be the best for both of us. We do pray that Jeremy will return to complete Pre-accident health and that you, Wendy, won't be too overwhelmed with all the extra things you are being called to do. The Dr. told me that the best thing I can do to help Dennis is to keep myself well, getting enough sleep, etc, etc, you know, all those things you can't do when you're wondering if your husband is going to be around much longer.
I am truly empathetic for you and we want you to know that we love you both and know our Heavenly Father knows the whole plan (I tell myself that every day) and you will get through this and learn some valuable lesson. Again, our prayers are with you!

Love,

Auntie Mare and Uncle Dennis
The Queen Updater (our Blog is:
46years.blogspsot.com) Love ya!