Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

As many of you know, yesterday was my birthday. It seems fitting to give a general overview of my progress, particularly since I am now about a week past the 4 month mark.

Most of the talk lately has been about the progress in my quad. Things are still not perfect, but I am definitely seeing improvement. I have posted a video of me lifting my leg (no, I am not a dog) so that you can see how I am doing. Remember that a month ago I couldn't get my leg to even move in this direction. Wendy couldn't resist panning to my face at the end...



The real question is, how does all that strength in my quad translate into activity. The answer: I have stopped using my cane around the Talmage building, which is where my office and my classes are. As long as I am not leaving the building, I walk unassisted. I still have a strange limp, but it's progress. When I am going further, like to the Wilkenson center or the library, I use my cane. It wasn't too long ago that I was thrilled to be able to use a walker around the Talmage building and a wheelchair to get to the library.

I had Wendy take another video of some of the activities that have improved the most. Notice the sit-to-stands from the low couch and the reasonable walking. Also, there have been many questions about my eligibility for this Christmas's soccer season, which I addressed at the end of the video.


6 comments:

Wendy said...

Happy Birthday! It has got to be exciting and a relief to see the progress!

Glad to see my "soccer ball" is going to good use! :)

Oh, and happy birthday!

Unknown said...

Well Happy Birthday to You! We share the same month for birthdays and Wendy and I share the same day. I say we have a big birthday party! How about it? You up to a big bash?

Karen Brothersen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! AND GOOOO ROME! Your progress is astounding! I am glad you are able to use your quad better now. That will help with a lot of your movement! You ROCK!

Andrew said...

Happy Birthday and congrats on so much progress! We're really excited for you!

Anonymous said...

You're doing awesome Rome!! We love you!

~H

Kristen said...

You look great! Awesome. It really is astounding how much you have done in 4 months. PS Happy Birthday!!