Monday, September 15, 2008

Smooth Move

A funny (read: scary) story I forgot to mention from Saturday. I woke up a little groggy Saturday morning to Wendy telling me that she was going running. She was leaving the girls at home with me. Usually she shuts the door so the girls can't get out and I just listen to make sure they aren't killing each other. Apparently she didn't get the door closed all the way when she left and the girls discovered this quite quickly. I was so out of it that I just fell asleep and since there was no screaming, crying, or arguing from the girls I slept quite well. They snuck out the back door to their friend Kaylee's house. When Wendy got home she found me asleep and no girls. She came in the room and said, "Jeremy, where are the girls?" Realizing that I had fallen asleep on the job, I sat up immediately to get out of bed and find them. That was when I realized I didn't have by shell on. Sitting up is one of the things I had been warned about. If I want to sit up I am supposed to roll carefully onto my side and then gently lower my legs to the floor while pushing my upper body up and keeping my back nice and straight, not doing a forward-facing sit-up which clearly bends your back right in the middle as you come up.

Well, I freaked out. I laid back down as if the sooner I did so the less likely I would be to have injured my back. I started calling neighbors while Wendy checked the yard. She eventually found them at Kaylee's. Fortunately I didn't hurt anything and the girls didn't get hurt or kidnapped, but from now on I will make sure I am up before Wendy leaves me in charge. And I will check the back door.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you and Wendy have angels watching over you and the girls right now. I'm going to start calling the girls houdini 1 and 2.Grateful all ended well.

Jamie and Terry saw you on the news and want to get in touch with you. I email Aunt Wilma your email and blog so don't be surprised if you hear from some of the family in the next little bit.

Love you all,
Mom

Karen Brothersen said...

For the record... it is Kaylee, not Caley.
Great story though... sorry you got hurt in the process.